What is Animal Services/Animal Control?

An entity responsible for enforcing ordinances relating to the control, impoundment, and disposition of animals. The entity takes custody of stray domestic animals and facilitates their return to, or placement in, a home environment, defend animals from abuse and neglect and protect the public from aggressive or dangerous animals. The animal control facility puts a 3-day stray hold on each animal while vetting them to determine the best course of action to take. 

What is an Animal Shelter/Humane Society?

An establishment, usually a nonprofit agency, supported by charitable contributions. They provide a temporary home for surrendered or stray dogs, cats, and other animals that are cared for and then offered for adoption. 

What Animals Does LCHS For?

LCHS provides service for companion animals, meaning dogs and cats. We are also contracted through the county to offer services for ferrets and licensed Vietnamese pigs, though our facility has never had the need to help with either.

Who Do I Contact on Days Animal Services is Closed?

You can contact Animal Services and leave a message, however, after-hours calls are served for emergencies only. Non-emergency complaints will be addressed on the next business day.  Emergencies include aggressive or severely injured animals.

If I See a Deceased Dog or Cat in the Roads or on the Road, Who Do I Call?

Animal Services is unable to transport deceased animals. The city or county will need to be notified to remove the animal. If you are unsure whether or not the animal is deceased or just very injured, please contact Animal Services. If you know the animal is deceased, please contact:


City of Lake City: Public Works for side streets (386) 758-5400 or DOT for main roadways (386) 758-3700

Columbia County: Landfill (386)752-6050 

I Found a Stray Dog or Cat on a Day Animal Services is Closed, What Do I Do?

If the animal is a danger to the community, please call Animal Services and leave a voicemail with animal description, location, and a brief description of the behavior. If they do not appear to be a danger to the community, please hold the animal until the next business day to bring it to our facility. 

The Adoption Center is Open on Saturday, Can I Bring an Animal to them?

No. The adoption center is not equipped with the ability to process an intake. Please refrain from bringing stray or surrendered animals to the center. 

Can I Borrow a Trap From LCHS; What Happens if I Catch Something?

Yes, you can borrow a trap. Fees may apply, please contact Animal Services for more information.  When you catch a companion animal, please contact us for further instructions. If you catch a wild animal, please contact FWC (386) 758-0525. 

I Came Across a Neglected Animal That is NOT a Dog or Cat, What Do I Do?

Please contact Columbia County Sheriff’s Office at (386) 758-2005. 

Can I Make an Anonymous Complaint?

All of our calls are subject to public records laws and once a case is closed, all information becomes public record.  

When I Made a Complaint, Animal Services Came Out But Did Not Remove the Animal. Why?

Our policy dictates that we issue a warning/notice of violation on the first offense. Please contact us for information on our complaint process. 

I Found a Kitten or Litter of Kittens, Will Mom Return, or Should I Bring Them to Animal Services?

No, leave them!  In most cases, their mother will return and is hiding to protect her babies. Please leave and check back in a few hours, if she does not return, please contact Animal Services.  

Should I Report Dogs Running Loose Even if They are not Bothering?

Absolutely. We need to know the history of the animal and owner so we can address the situation before it becomes dangerous or the dog gets hurt.  

Does Columbia County Require a Pet License?

No, we do not currently have licensing requirements in our county.

If I Feed an Animal, Does That Mean it is Mine?

If you provide food/care to an animal longer than seven days, the animal is considered yours.  Please call us immediately if you have a stray animal show up on your property. 

Why, When Surrendering My Companion Animal, Do I Have to Pay a Fee?

As an owner, the surrender fee for Columbia County residents is $40 per animal and $100 for out of county residents. Please note, if we do not have space, we will not accept the surrender. We will not accept an owner surrender if we do not have space because that would require us to euthanize an animal to accept yours. Our waiting period is approximately 2 weeks and we thank you for your patience. The fees cover spay/neuter, vaccinations, and medical treatment as necessary/appropriate.  Anything not spent on the aforementioned areas will go towards the daily care of the animal.  

Am I Responsible for Paying a Fee to Bring in a Stray Animal?

No. There is no fee for stray animal intakes in our county.  The person bringing an animal in must reside in Columbia County with a valid ID showing residency.  



Coming Soon. . .



Coming Soon. . .

About Us

Lake City Humane Society, a private nonprofit organization, was formed in late 1964 to address animal welfare issues in our community. There was no animal shelter, and little attention was paid to the hundreds, if not thousands of animals that were picked up off the streets and killed if no one came to claim them.One city employee – the “dog catcher” was hired to catch and dispose of stray and unclaimed dogs in our area.

Contact Us

Lake City Humane Society Provides Animal Services and Pet Adoptions for Columbia County, Florida

1392 NW Shelter Glen

Lake City, FL 32055

Phone: 386-752-3191

Email: info@lakecityhumane.org

Hours of Operation:


Animal Services

Monday-Friday: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Adoption Center:

Tuesday - Friday 10:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Saturday: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM


Monday & Friday

10:00 AM - 2:00 PM

Tuesday - Thursday:

8:00 AM - 5:00 PM

Phone: 386-401-1063

Email: lchsclinic@lakecityhumane.org

© 2020 by Lake City Humane Society. All Rights Reserved Worldwide

A copy of the official registration and financial information may be obtained from the division of consumer services by calling toll-free within the state. registration does not imply endorsement, approval, or recommendation by the state.

Consumer Services Division: 

Address: 200 E Gaines St, Tallahassee, FL 32399

Phone: (850) 413-3130

Lake city humane society  is a tax-exempt 501(C)(3) nonprofit organization. Your gift is tax-deductible as allowed by law.